wheelers park, adams county trip report - 1-23-10

Post your Vehicle and Trail pictures here

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Master Wheeler

wheelers park, adams county trip report - 1-23-10

Postby eddie platt » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:13 pm

so, heres my trip report.

i met my cousin joey in meijer parking lot at 730, then headed out to mt orab to meet in the mcd;s parking lot at 8. pulled in right at 8, parked waited for a few others, trent and seane. jesses toyota has expired tags so he brought his dirt bike. and a few other of seanes work buddies.
so we left and headed out to the place. seanes friend from work has a few acres and a pretty cool little cabin right across the road from this new place. so we met up with him there and picked up a few others and the 2 or 3 quad guys.we didnt end up leaving there till like 1030. so we go to the park and meet in the parking lot, pay the guy, get our bearings on what to ride, he said if you want rocks follow the creek back.

so we head out, seanes grand cherokee (4" lift, stock axles, front arb locker, rear limited slip, 33" mt claws) is in front, then theres a rubicon unlimited on 35's a tj on 35's open front and rear, a cherokee with about 3" and 31" tires open front and rear, and a bone stock cherokee on street tires. and finally me taking up the rear of the group. we make our way back to the creek trail and before we even get to it we are sliding all over the place. it was slick! not like super muddy, but just dry enough to stick to everything, like when you walk through the mud and it sticks to your boots, then more mud sticks to that mud, making your boots really heavy. it was like that. so we get to the creek and start in it, and it was pretty narrow and tight. the street tired cherokee was behind seane. about 100 ft into it he gets stuck, but seane had gone on ahead about another 200 ft. and had got high centered on a log. so im in the back, literally about 30 ft into the creek. i shut it off, walk up and see them trying to pull the cherokee backwards, then i walk up to seane and help him get his winch out to winch him off the log. he has one of those hitch mount winches. so we get him off the log, by then the others had caught up.

about 20 ft, infront of where seane had just got unstuck was the harder part of the creek as the walls got very high on both sides making what i called it the 'canyon'. it was very tight and slick, but the 'start' of it 20 ft ahead of seane had a ledge you had to climb about 3ft tall that was very soupy with about a foot of mud at the bottom. seane tried it pretty hard (his v8 with no converter and a flowmaster sounds really really good by the way) he backed down and the rubicon on 35's tried it. he made it after some throttle. then the other tj on 35's (open/open) gave it a go. after alot of throttle and a few attempts he made it. so after that seane tried it again and made it up. i followed shortly after. the 2 cherokees just parked there as we knew they would obviously not make it. they walked ahead and watched us.

so the first guy to make it up, the rubicon on 35;s , went up ahead and ran the rest of the mile long 'canyon' and was now coming back on top looking down on us. the tj open/open remember, struggled along the very off camber canyon as best he could, winching here and there. meanwhile i was parked at the top of the first ledge just waiting to go. seane was in front of me, and the big tj. so he actually made it to about 30 ft. from the exit. all this time i would get to drive about 30ft. park and wait for him, drive a little more, park and wait for him. so right near the exit his winch decides to quit on him. so they sit there trying to get him up for about a half an hour. finally they say he cant make it and we have to back down!!! i wasnt looking forward to it. well after you climb that little ledge at the beginning theres a small turn to the right as you follow the canyon/creek. and as i was backing down(the jeep is leaning way driver at this time off camber) my back driver side starts diggin into the dirt berm wall. and theres a descent crop of roots sticking out. so joey is behind me somewhat spotting to make sure i dont do something bad. so he says im not turning enough and im scraping along the wall too much. so i go forward a little to try and get over the the pass. side more and the big root rips my tailgate open. so joey is back there and tries to close it and it wont close. but it usually doesnt when im twisted up, so i tell him to just shut it and ill latch it when i get down to the flat spot. so after alot of scraping along the driverside along the dirt wall i back off the ledge and am back on relatively flat ground. seane is up next and busts his rear driver window out on the same root that got me!
i get out and see my rear hatch had been bent to the driver side and the latch was off by about 1/2". so me and another guy pushed it back as best we could and got it closed. but it doesnt seal all the way. i need to try and fix it. but now it wont open. i tried to get it open but its stuck. oh well. ill have to kick it off from inside i guess

Master Wheeler

Postby eddie platt » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:18 pm

sorry that was so long. i wont bore you with the rest. it was pretty uneventfull from then on out.

the place feels really similar to roys old place - ky outback. i hope this guy does better than he did. it looks like it would be a good place. its nice and close. it was about 25 minutes past the mt orab exit.
i didnt get to see as much of the place as i would have liked. but maybe i can get back out there when it dries up a little.

oh, and i didnt get any pictures yet. ill have to get them from the others cause i didnt take any myself.....

Master Wheeler

Postby spaulman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:39 pm

Sounds like a good place for a day trip. I'd like to check it out sometime.
Scott Paulman
Lebanon, OH

46 CJ2A #18172
96 XJ Sport
13 JK Unlimited Rubi

Master Wheeler

Postby eddie platt » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:47 am

at 20 bucks per person plus 10 for passengers, its a little more expensive than i think it should be. i emailed the guy about maybe offering a yearly pass or something like that.

its not all that bad, but i think i would probably go more if that option was available. especially since its nice and close.

Lifted Wheeler

Postby RuffedUpXJ » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 am

Is there a site for it yet? Or some more info on it?

Sounds like a tough and long day for you, especially when the trail report refers to feet and not entire trails.
88' XJ Red: 5" Lift, OBA, 35" BFG MT, Bumpers, Rails, Loaded Rack, and a couple of dents

Master Wheeler

Postby eddie platt » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:57 pm

all i think they have right now is this myspace page.

http://www.myspace.com/wheelersoffroading

Return to Pictures from the Trail