Marc's Moab log

Post your Vehicle and Trail pictures here

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Forum Moderator

Marc's Moab log

Postby broncomarc » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:15 pm

fri -
6 pm. Just hit I-70 in Indy. Typing this as I tailgate Andy. ;-)
7 pm. 10 miles to Illinois and the highway comes to a stop for construction.
7:25. Welcome to Illinois.
10 pm Crossed the Mississippi. Arch is pretty cool at night.
Midnight. Topped off at flying j in warrenton, mo. Still on the move.
1:15. Stopped for the night in Columbia at camp crackle barrel.
8:30 am. On the road again
10:30. Entering Kansas
11:00. Stopped at Cabellas right next to the Kansas motor speedway
12:15. Back on the road
1:00 Found diesel for $2.99 on the tollway!
8:40. Colorodo! Man Kansas is looong!
11:30. We're about 30 miles short of Denver and we're stopping for the night. Too many heavy eyelids. It's still about 7 hours to Moab. We're just going to get up early and try to make it at a decent hour to wheel tomorrow.

I'll start posting in mountain time now,,,

6 am. Back on the road
9 am. We're in vail. Stopped ok the side of the road. Gary is adding a 5 gal can of diesel. It's expensive here so we're trying to make do.
1:50 pm Entered Utah. 81 miles to go! Woo Hoo!
3:15 We've Arrived! Unpacked, set up, cleaned up, leaving for Fins n Things soon.
Last edited by broncomarc on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Marc Reiter
1973 Bronco - http://www.broncomarc.com/bronco/

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Forum Moderator

Postby broncomarc » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:20 am

Fins N Things was a blast. Didn't have any major issues. My Bronco died a couple times (like normal recently). Looks like the input of my first fuel pump is leaking. Probably sucking air. I'm going to try resealing it tomorrow morning.

Here's some details captured by my phone:
http://www.trailguru.com/wiki/index.php/Track:1UCY

Here's my pics:
http://www.tkotrailriders.com/gallery/m ... temId=1258
- Marc Reiter

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Forum Moderator

Postby broncomarc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:24 pm

MONDAY -

Monday we ran Hells Revenge. I had a generally crappy day. I was still having fuel issues. We changed it around a couple times and it was still running bad. Depending on how we set it up, it either wouldn't rev at all, or would take 10 minute periods where it wouldn't start. Also my starter wasn't engaging most of the time (a bad combo with the fuel issues). Also, my regulator on my CO2 tank was dead and I kept blowing the line off the solenoid, so no front locker for me.

We missed Hells Gate somehow. We played around in the hot tubs a little. Courtney made it thru the hot tub, as did his brother in law, Tom, but my fuel and locker issues didn't let me get out. I almost did, but a quick strap and I was out.

We hit Escalator and I tried it. I was staged, but then my fuel system took a 10 minute time out before I could even try. With no front locker I couldn't get up. Tom drove right up it several times (He's got a very nicely built rig. Courtney even took a turn in Tom's rig and drove right up.

After Hell's Revenge we went over to Potato Salad Hill. Tom drove up it a few times with no issues. Andy had a damned nice run in his JK. He made the perfect 4 wheel drift and made it right up. We talked Gary into trying it and after a few tries he made it up.

We headed back and had diner then went out for a night run on Poison Spider. With my issues I decided to ride with Andy. It was fun and scary at times in the dark. The trail starts with several switchbacks up a pretty steep hill. Everyone made it thru with no issues.

Pics are posted:
http://www.tkotrailriders.com/gallery/m ... temId=1258
Last edited by broncomarc on Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Marc Reiter

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Forum Moderator

Postby broncomarc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:27 pm

TUESDAY -

I got up with the sun to work on my Bronco. I moved the high pressure fuel pump to the back by the tank. I took a few runs up and down the street and it's running great now. I replaced my starter so it should fire right up every time now. I hooked up my 5 gal air tank and will use it for my locker rather than the CO2 tank. We found out my solenoid was dead also. Courtney had a spare which he is letting me borrow, so I should have a front locker today! We are headed out soon.

-----

Tuesday we went to Area BFE. This is the area that contains upper Helldorodo. It was up for auction a few years ago and an off-roader bought it and turned it into a free park. Unfortunately the parcel that contains lower Helldorodo went to envromental-nazis and it is closed.

In Area BFE we ran Strike Ravine and Greenday. Strike Ravine was a scenic trail with a few challenges. We got to see a bunch of old mines. We went down into one about 100 yards in.

Next we walked Upper Helldorodo. It looked like it was real fun. There were a few real tough sections, and then came the waterfall! This thing was insane. It was about 10 feet tall and nearly vertical! Needless to say nobody tried it.

We went up Greenday next. It was a lot of fun. It had a lot of ledges that were a lot of fun.

Luckily my fixes Tuesday morning seemed to fix the issues on the Bronco. No fuel issues and I had a front locker.
- Marc Reiter

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Forum Moderator

Postby broncomarc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:32 am

WEDNESDAY-

On Wednesday we ran Moab Rim. This is an awesome trail that basically heads up the side of a cliff. The first half mile is a unique run of all uphill rock with lots of ledges. This is fun because it's harry all the way. There's a couple times it leans you out toward the cliff edge. I think it made some people pretty nervous.

Next it goes out across the top of the cliff overlooking the city. There is a major wild fire that is burning in Moab right now. As of Wednesday night it had burned 600 acres. We got a great view of the fire from the top of the cliff.

We ran it to the end and went for a walk to view some Indian Petroglyphs. We turned around and ran the trail back down the cliff to the bottom.

We had a cookout Wednesday night at the condo and watched movies and pictures from the trailrides.
- Marc Reiter

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Forum Moderator

Postby broncomarc » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:27 am

THURSDAY -

On Thursday we did.... NOTHING! Taking the day off from wheeling. Andy and Liz were sick all night and Gary has a noise in his transfer case. We spent the day sitting around the campground, BSing and troubleshooting Gary's noise.
- Marc Reiter

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Forum Moderator

Postby broncomarc » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:31 am

FRIDAY -

Andy is heading home this morning due to multiple issues at home. The theater 100 ft from his house burned down earlier this week. Gary doesn't want to take his jeep out until he can find the cause of the noise he is getting.

So, It's just going to be Tom and myself today. We will probably hit Cliffhanger and if time allows we'll do some of Pritchett Canyon.

----
Just got back from Cliffhanger. Awesome trail! Not too tough, but some good ledges and amazing scenery. We got part way thru the trail and Tom's steering was starting to go. He found a crack in steering pump on the pressure side that was leaking when it got a lot of pressure. He jumped in my Bronco and we ran most of the trail then we turned around an headed back.

I'm pulling out and heading for home in a few minutes. Final pics are posted!
Last edited by broncomarc on Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Marc Reiter

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Forum Moderator

Postby broncomarc » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:24 pm

I just walked in the door at home.. I think I set a land speed record. I left Moab at 5 pm (ET) on Friday and got home at 7 PM Saturday.
- Marc Reiter

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Master Wheeler

Postby eddie platt » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:02 am

nice write up....

those fire pics are crazy!!

Flexy Wheeler

Postby GreenJPTJ » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:24 pm

Those pics make me want to go. I'll have to try for the next trip out there.

Forum Moderator

Postby ANDY » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:16 am

You missed an awesome trip. Liz and I had a wonderful time. Moab is definetly some of the best wheelin in the country. It was great to have Courtney and Judy as well as Judy's brother Tom and his wife Vicky there to be trail guides. They were great spotters. The JK performed remarkably well. We were amazed at the stuff it went up.
________
/| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Flexy Wheeler

Postby moabbs » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi Everyone:

Courtney and I are sorry we had to cut our trip short. We are still in Salt Lake City. My Mom is still in the hospital with some serious issues. All of our stuff and the Jeep are still in Moab. t looks like we will only have time to go back to Moab...pack up...and hopefully head home.

We had a great time with everyone. We definitely have to plan this trip again.

Heading to the hospital.

Judy & Courtney

Extreme Wheeler

Postby garyjeep » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:16 pm

Sandy and I made home a little after noon (today). We steaded in Moab, and went hikeing/sight seeing for a few days. Great trip.
Gary
Retired - everyday is Saturday to me! (But I miss payday!)

Master Wheeler

Postby kesterkamp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:44 pm

haven't been on here in a while, but the pictures are really cool when i can afford it i will be heading west for sure.
15 Buggy
88 Jeep Wrangler DAD'S
95 Jeep Cherokee DEAD
00 Ford F-250
03 Honda Accord

Forum Moderator

Postby ANDY » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:09 pm

I finally had the time and figured out how to upload our pictures to the gallery.
________
/| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Return to Pictures from the Trail