- Marc Reiter
1973 Bronco - http://www.broncomarc.com/bronco/

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:49 pm

I don't remember...but I think it means that it has taken WAY TOO LONG to finish this project!

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:02 pm

In this view you can see the clearance for the lower shock mounts. You can also see how the brakeline runs across the top of the axle. It will use a single soft hose coming down from the frame like the '95 F350 (same line in fact).

Also visible is the start of another project. The front crossmember has been cut to allow me to sink my 8274-50 below the bumper.
Attachments
frontaxle0606.jpg
frontaxle0606.jpg (121.59 KiB) Viewed 13169 times

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:09 pm

Here is the rear. Obviously the rear shocks aren't bolted on. I plan to modify the upper mount. I wanted the lower mounts to be protected and slant up to help slide over obstacles. This particular config would only give me about 2 inches of uptravel. I'd like to have about 5-6, though it will probably be rough on springs.

You can also see the raised gas tank. Raised about 4" total. This is actually a TJ tank and skid. I had to cut the crossmember there, but the TJ tank let me keep the body mounts.

Still planning on adding a traction bar of some sort. I just can't decide on the style I want to use.
Attachments
rearaxle0606.jpg
rearaxle0606.jpg (107.2 KiB) Viewed 13168 times

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:50 am

Brakes work!

I'm going to try to get the steering finished this week. A little work on the rear axle and I might get to drive it this weekend.

Specs for brakes:
Front D60 Ford Dual piston calipers on front
Front 3/4 ton chevy single piston calipers on rear
Stock front D60 hubs and rotors front and rear
Mercury Grand Marquis w/4 wheel disc Master cylinder

BIG! Should really work well on the street and trail. These are massive compared to the stock YJ brakes with 8.8 rear discs.

Extreme Wheeler

Postby 01TJay » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:03 pm

It's looking good! It's nice when you can actually see light at the end of the tunnel.
www.crazybabyclothing.com

Got a new XJ on 31's all black "Classic" schweeet!

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:51 pm

I got the hydro-assist ram mounted this weekend. I had to build a special bracket that fit my tie-rod and would allow adjustment. I didn't do anything several other folks haven't done, but it did take a long time to get it like I wanted it.

I'll get pics up as soon as I get my camera back from the shop.

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:26 am

Actually drove it for the first time on Saturday. Wasn't shifting out of first gear and wouldn't idle.

Adjusted the timing, set the throttle stop on the new throttle body, and installed the TV kickdown cable on the tranny and now it everything works.

Hydro-assist steering feels a little funny. Will take some getting used to. I don't have the rear shocks mounted, so the Jeep felt very soft. I'm getting license plates for it tomorrow. Going to miss the meeting tonight. I'm pretty sure that by Saturday it should be completely streetable.

Still need to make a front driveshaft before I can take it offroad and need to clean a few things up.

Extreme Wheeler

Postby 01TJay » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:16 am

Awesome! How's it doing now? later, j
www.crazybabyclothing.com

Got a new XJ on 31's all black "Classic" schweeet!

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:22 am

Took it to Gatlinburg last week.

Didn't get to take it offroad, but put about 100 miles on driving around Gatlinburg. Ran great and felt great on the road. The brakes are perfect. Ryan and Lori enjoyed cruising. Cam sounds awesome and produces great power.

A few Bugs to work out:

3 of 4 wheel hubs leak.

Tail pipe hits tire and rubs center tranny crossmember.

Tranny doesn't seem to shift just right. Shifts up and down but seems to be behind on the downshifts. Kickdown cable doesn't seem to be working right.

Still need anti-wrap bar.

A major problem:

Tranny or t-case (not sure which) is making a loud "bearing" noise. It sounds just exactly like a manual tranny does when you lug the engine in too high of a gear. The noise is speed related. Starts about 25 mph and gets worse to about 35. Lessens a little above 35.

Overall, I'm pretty happy. I have a Jeep again.

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:21 pm

Found the loud noise in the tranny...

It was actually the atlas t-case. I had forgotten to remove the vent cap on the top of the case. When I would get up to speed, it would apparently keep the gear oil from flowing properly. I hooked up a proper vent line and the noise went away.

I got the TV-cable adjusted and the Jeep is shifting great. Still need to reset the timing.

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:26 pm

ARB Compressor is installed and plumbed/wired.

Front driveshaft is in.

Still a ton of small projects, but might drive it to Portland this weekend.

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:28 pm

Modified my bumper for a winch this weekend instead of going to Portland:
Attachments
8274WinchMount.jpg
8274WinchMount.jpg (167.71 KiB) Viewed 12745 times

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:37 pm

A little more progress this weekend. Again, thanks to Jim Bernard for his help.

These two projects go hand in hand. So I worked on them essentially at the same time.

The first pic is of my skid plate in progress. This is how it looks right now. I still need to fill in the holes and remove a little material near the atlas. It is not completely flat. It will hang down approximately 2" at the lowest point near the t-case.

The 2nd pic is of my traction bar in progress. I went round and round on what type of bar I wanted to use. I seriously considered a BAMBAR set-up, but then decided to stick with the tried-and-true. I built it from 3 old track bars (one JKS YJ front adjustable bar, one RE TJ 5.5" longarm rear bar, and one stock YJ rear bar) and a little bit of steel plate.

It is nice to get some of this old steel out of the garage. I've been collecting them for these projects for several years.
Attachments
skidinprogress.jpg
Skid plate is 1/4" plate steel. Rusty Bray originally had it on his old YJ. It was slightly bend from wheeling.
skidinprogress.jpg (158.34 KiB) Viewed 12629 times
tractionbarinprogress.jpg
Traction bar will have a double rod-end front shackle attached to skid plate approx. 7" long.
tractionbarinprogress.jpg (189.07 KiB) Viewed 12629 times

Forum Moderator

Postby broncomarc » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:12 pm

What's with the receiver above the rear axle? You would need one funky shaped hitch to hook in there to pull a trailer.
- Marc Reiter
1973 Bronco - http://www.broncomarc.com/bronco/

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Info