YJ Project Marathon 9-19 thru 26th

Discuss Upgrades and Fixes

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:38 pm

eddie platt wrote:if you have time this weekend or next week can i come over to take a look see? ? if you want i can help with some things as well. i always like to lend a hand.

Eddie,
You or anyone else from TKO are welcome over any time. Just give me a call. I'll be working on it tomorrow most of the day (Monday).

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:43 pm

Watson wrote:What third member do you plan on using? Are you staying with the smalller one and doing 31 spline or are you getting the bigger housing and going 1.5" 35 spline? Same question goes to you Jerry. The more I dug into it, the bigger pain it looked to be. I just decided to use a 14 bolt and get it shaved instead.

I have a big bearing 9" housing from an F150. Using 31-spline inners and 30 spline outer. If I run into problems I might consider other options. As is. This will be the strongest set up I have ever had in a trail vehicle. I've never broken an axle to date (knock on wood).

This is definitely not "easy", but it is not really that much of a pain. I guess the real answers will be known when we see how it holds up.

Master Wheeler

Postby eddie platt » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:23 am

i need a standard low pinion 3rd member but if yours is custom built you probably dont have one. i am looking for one for a spare, so ill have a spare 3rd already set up with gears and all. - 4.56's. unless i find a super good deal on a locker ill leave it open since its just a spare. and since ill be running 31 spline itll have to be a stock 31 spline unit.

anyway, ill give you a call later and come take a look at it. you probably wont read this before then but oh well. if you do - pm me your number.
thanks

Stock Wheeler

Postby jeepthing77 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:17 pm

Jerry

Glad to see things are going good with the build up.
I got a few questions for you.
I see that you are gonna drop the front 60 down to 64", did you do this just by choppin the pass side and leaving the drivers side stock length to run a stock shaft? I am thinking about trying to pick up a front 60 as a winter project (since my welding is getting better) and get it down to ~64-65". Isnt there a way to get them to 5x5.5 without buying a 2 grand kit. Then I would just get a spacer for my rear to go from 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 and that would take my rear to ~63". The only problem ford front 60s out here run about $1200 so this project is on hold till I can find something a little cheaper.
Matt
'98 TJ: lift, Atlas, Currie 9", stuff
'05 F150 KR

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:31 pm

jeepthing77 wrote:I see that you are gonna drop the front 60 down to 64", did you do this just by choppin the pass side and leaving the drivers side stock length to run a stock shaft? I am thinking about trying to pick up a front 60 as a winter project (since my welding is getting better) and get it down to ~64-65". Isnt there a way to get them to 5x5.5 without buying a 2 grand kit. Then I would just get a spacer for my rear to go from 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 and that would take my rear to ~63".

I have a later model D60 with ball joints. This is perfect for the YJ/TJ application if you want to go to 64". You only cut the long side and it puts the spring pad on the housing in the right place. The hardest part is getting the "tube" out of the "C-knuckle". I chopped it at the knuckle and then ground down the weld flush with the knuckle. You can see the little crack develope when you have ground far enough. Next I used a sawzall to cut across the tube inside the "C" being very careful not to cut into the knuckle. After cutting through with the saw, the tube pounded out easily.

You can get the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern with very little machine work. You need to cut the hub down on a lathe so that it will fit on the wheel. You also have to convert the brakes, but I haven't looked into that yet. (this is not true if you go with 17" wheels, but I'm pretty sure it is with 15s)

All in all this is a very fun project.

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:34 pm

Update. It looks like the front hub will NOT fit on the spindle like I'd hoped. The bolts from the ford 9" axle housing are too close together and the hub will not go on without hitting them.

Simple solution. I'll just weld the spindles to the 9" housing. No big deal really. I'd have liked them to bolt on but it didn't work out. It is possible that some other combination of D60 parts would allow this to work, but I don't have them at my disposal just now.

Stock Wheeler

Postby jeepthing77 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:57 pm

This is going to be for 17s. Because I was told that you cannot get a wheel spacer that went from a 5x4.5 to an 8 lug set up. If I could I would just keep the front 60 stock bolt pattern and get the spacers for the back to be 8 lug. since I got 2 bent rims and I am going to 17's anyway when I get new tires (needed badly). Anyone ever heared of a spacer that goes from 5x4.5 to 8 lug??????
'05 F150 KR

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:09 pm

jeepthing77 wrote:Anyone ever heared of a spacer that goes from 5x4.5 to 8 lug??????

Check with Mountain Off Road Enterprises M.O.R.E.

They would have made one for me to go from 5 on 5.5 to 8 on 6.5, but it was going to cost about $450 and they were 3 inches wide each.

Stock Wheeler

Postby jeepthing77 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:48 pm

Well I have been thinking more and more about a front 60 swap.

I dont want to hijack the thread but figured I might add some info I found from a search incase anyone else might be considering this.

I found this web site for custom spacers/adapters and it was recomended http://www.mcmotorsports.com/frontend/default.asp

I wanted to make sure I wasnt gonna get a cast spacer due to strength issues.

I called these guys today and they were very helpful. They do make a 5 lug to 8 lug adapter. Problem is it is a 2 piece adapter and it is $225 each :o and measure 2.25". They also make a 5 lug to 6 lug adapter that is only one piece and is only $60 each but is also 2.25". 2.25" sounds a little big to me???? does anyone feel that this might be a little too much added stress to the axle. This will be for a rear not the front. And it is a 35 spline 9".

I will admit that I have hours of reading ahead of me before I dig into this project because I have very little knowledge of the 60. Is it easier/cheaper to get the front down to a 6 lug.

However if I get the 2.25" spacer in the back the the differenct in price between a 6 lug and 8 lug is $330. So if getting the front to 6 lug will cost more than 330 then I might as well just stick with an 8 lug set up.

What are yalls thoughts on this... I know it almost seems easier to get a pair of 60s and go from there but I have way too much money in my rear I dont want to lose it by selling. One of those Hindsight is 20/20.
'05 F150 KR

Master Wheeler

Postby eddie platt » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:19 pm

ANY FINISHED SHOTS OF THAT REAR AXLE YET?? IM CURIOUS TO SEE WHAT IT WILL LOOK LIKE.

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:05 pm

I'm having a little trouble with my camera/computer situation, but here are a couple of pics.
Attachments
FFaxle2.jpg
This one is of the rear axle in place with the tire on. I moved the rear axle back one inch.
FFaxle2.jpg (30.46 KiB) Viewed 10715 times
raisedfueltank.jpg
This pic is of the frame I built for the raised gas tank. I used a TJ tank to clear the factory body mounts I wanted to retain. I removed the crossmember between the body mounts and raised the gas tank approximately four inches. Combined with the 1" body
raisedfueltank.jpg (33.77 KiB) Viewed 10715 times

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:05 am

I'll post a couple of update photos today. Some now, some later.
Attachments
JeepNrlyReady1.JPG
Just a couple of stand back and look at it out of the garage pics
JeepNrlyReady1.JPG (67.66 KiB) Viewed 10660 times
JeepNrlyReady2.JPG
JeepNrlyReady2.JPG (64.88 KiB) Viewed 10661 times

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:16 am

Still to go:

Brakes all around. I am using F350 dual piston calipers up front, and haven't decided on the rear yet. I have K2500 GMC rotors back there and may use those calipers. I'm using a 78 mercury marquis master cylinder and I still need to run all the brake lines and install the master cylinder.

Steering still needs work. I am working on a bracket to make the Ball-Joint knuckle a high steer. I plan to add hydraulic assist too, but probably not before I get it running. Hydraulic lines from the Ford power steering pump to the Jeep box still need to be made.

Fuel tank is in and complete. Still need to run fuel lines.

Need to build upper shock towers for the front.

Need to finish some minor engine issues. Wire gauges, install water hoses, vacuum lines and distributer.

Exhaust. Planned to run duals. There is just no room to have a catalytic converter on the drivers side, so I've decided to have a single exhaust down the passenger side. If I can't live with that, I'll install duals later.

Reassemble dash. I have everything out to finish the wiring. I plan to start it with everything unassembled to make sure it all works. If it does, I can put the dash back together and take it for a drive.

It really is amazing how much time each and everyone of these projects takes. I could slap it together very quickly, but I am trying very hard to make it look like everything belongs there. It has been a fun project (frustrating at times) but now I'm ready to drive it.

I want this thing out of the garage permanently!!!

Forum Moderator

Postby broncomarc » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:26 pm

So... Are you going to Attica with us this weekend?? :D :D :D
- Marc Reiter
1973 Bronco - http://www.broncomarc.com/bronco/

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:52 pm

uummmm....NO! :D