YJ Project Marathon 9-19 thru 26th

Discuss Upgrades and Fixes

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Extreme Wheeler

YJ Project Marathon 9-19 thru 26th

Postby Jerry Blair » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:29 pm

I know most of you will be out of town but I have taken the week off from work to get the Jeep rolling and running.

Projects to complete are as follows:
Narrow D60 front to 64"
Fab steering
Retube 9" rear with D60 FF tubes
Fab disk brakes for rear
Wire fuel pump
Run all new brake lines and fuel lines
Route vacuum hoses on 5.0
Wire Starter and Alternator
Fab new filler for raised TJ fuel tank to fit existing YJ opening
Fab cover for raised fuel tank frame.

These things will get me rolling and driving. There a few more detail items I still need to do like:
Fab mount and install winch
Modify flat skidplate
Install tail pipes
Build Traction Bar
Regear Front end
Install Seats (??? maybe I should do this during the rolling and driving stage)
Trim fenders and install flares
Probably alot more.

If anyone wants to stop by you are more than welcome.
Attachments
08-18-04 026.jpg
08-18-04 026.jpg (188.87 KiB) Viewed 23199 times
08-18-04 028.jpg
08-18-04 028.jpg (213.64 KiB) Viewed 23199 times

Forum Moderator

Postby ANDY » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:25 pm

Good luck Jerry. :D

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:20 am

Definitely going to need it.
Thanks.

Stock Wheeler

Postby BaldEagle242 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:07 pm

Need to borrow a longer set of Jack stands Jerry? (see pic below) :o :o :o
Attachments
WHYWOMENLIVELONGERTHANMEN.jpg
WHYWOMENLIVELONGERTHANMEN.jpg (45.87 KiB) Viewed 23172 times
1978 CJ7

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:42 am

BaldEagle242 wrote:Need to borrow a longer set of Jack stands Jerry? (see pic below) :o :o :o

Hey, thanks.
Actually I don't need them. I have a complete set just like that. If I need to go any higher, I have about 100 concrete blocks I can stack.
;-)

Stock Wheeler

Postby JimBernard » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:45 pm

BaldEagle242 wrote:Need to borrow a longer set of Jack stands Jerry? (see pic below) :o :o :o

I don't see any floor jack in the picture. I'd like to see how he got the thing jacked up in the first place...

Stock Wheeler

Postby jeepthing77 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:22 pm

well Jerry its the 24th.

2 days left. Any updates?
:)
'98 TJ: lift, Atlas, Currie 9", stuff
'05 F150 KR

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:41 pm

OK.
Today is the 30th and things haven't gone exactly as planned. I wanted to get everything done last week but it just didn't pan out. It turns out that I spent the week job searching instead of working on the Jeep.
The good news is that I should be working again very shortly. More on that later. More good news is that I have been working on the Jeep this week.
Currently I have the front 60 narrowed and in the Jeep. It still needs to come back out for finish welding, gears, and paint. I have the rear nine inch in place and should have a rolling vehicle tomorrow. I had a slight change of plan on the nine inch as well. Instead of swapping the tubes, I used Ford D60 front spindles and hubs bolted to the end of the nine inch. I had to turn the back side of the spindles down so they would slip into the bearing retainer on the nine inch and drill a couple of new holes. Now everything just bolts up very similar to a Warn FF kit. I am ordering shafts tomorrow.
By the end of the weekend I hope to have the 5.0 ready to start. I have next week as well to get work done and I really want to drive it. I plan on going to the Supercrawl with Jason Head to spot. He has someone towing his rig out on a gooseneck. He said if I get it finished, he would ride with me in it to Salt Lake City.
I have a goal.
Pics tomorrow.

Master Wheeler

Postby eddie platt » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:57 am

jerry, just out of curiosity, do you have any spare 9" parts you want to get rid of? i need to get back on to the project of my 9" rear before i forget how...

also, can you tell me a little more with pics about how you bolted spindles and hubs to the rear. so that makes it a full floater but do you have to get custom length shafts for it?? what did you do about the brakes?? are they discs..

Master Wheeler

Postby Watson » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:58 am

Cool Jerry. Glad to hear you are getting closer. Sorry I couldn't have been more help to you when you called this morning. Can't wait to see the pics. Even better - can't wait to see the YJ on the trail again!
(RIP): Beat up 93 XJ on 38.5 SXs and coils at all corners
New Driver: 01 XJ (2" lift - Rubi wheels/tires)
My Baby: Black 98 2500 Dodge Ram 12v Cummins Diesel on 33s (now with 6 speeds and a new head)
Parted out: 96 Black XJ on 31s
My Toy: Bright yellow 85 CJ-7 on 31s (officially sold to Ben now but I'm still building it)
Sold: Maroon 92 XJ - 5" lift, locked, and 32s

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Master Wheeler

Postby eddie platt » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:00 pm

if you have time this weekend or next week can i come over to take a look see? ? if you want i can help with some things as well. i always like to lend a hand.

Master Wheeler

Postby Watson » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:18 pm

Eddie,

When I was looking at doing a hp rear 60 full float, I talked to a lot of people about this. The easiest (definitely not the cheapest) way for a 9" is to get the Warn kit. You have to have a big bearing housing though which I think you do have. The Warn spindles bolt onto the 9" housing ends. They use standard Dana 60 wheel bearings and I believe they just use a 60 hub for the outer stuff. If I remember correctly you can get 5, 6, or 8 lug hubs for this. By the way aftermarket 5 lug Dana 60 and 14 bolt hubs are running about $250 a piece right now. The shafts that come with the kit are alloy blanks. You have to send them someplace like Moser to have them cut and splined. I think the kit is around $950. I'm very interested in seeing Jerry's work using the front spindles. Another way to do it is to use standard FF Dana 60 spindles (FF 60s used 30 spline skinny shafts though). So to use a big 1.5" shaft you have to bore the spindles out. Not sure if these spindles would bolt right up to a 9" housing end though, may need more modification. What third member do you plan on using? Are you staying with the smalller one and doing 31 spline or are you getting the bigger housing and going 1.5" 35 spline? Same question goes to you Jerry. The more I dug into it, the bigger pain it looked to be. I just decided to use a 14 bolt and get it shaved instead.
My Baby: Black 98 2500 Dodge Ram 12v Cummins Diesel on 33s (now with 6 speeds and a new head)
My Toy: Bright yellow 85 CJ-7 on 31s (officially sold to Ben now but I'm still building it)

Master Wheeler

Postby eddie platt » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:56 pm

i had just planned on using the stock 3rd member with 31spline shafts and see how well they hold up. i plan on tire size around 35-36 range at most (thats what they all say :lol: ) i need to keep it street worthy as well...

Master Wheeler

Postby Watson » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:31 pm

Ignore what I said about the D60 FF spindles. I forgot that those have to be pressed into the housing, they are not bolted on. You should be fine with the 31 spline shafts. They seem to be holding up well for someone in the club with 36s. I won't mention his name because if I did I'm sure he'd snap one on the next ride. I have that effect on people. :/

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:36 pm

eddie platt wrote:jerry, just out of curiosity, do you have any spare 9" parts you want to get rid of? i need to get back on to the project of my 9" rear before i forget how...

also, can you tell me a little more with pics about how you bolted spindles and hubs to the rear. so that makes it a full floater but do you have to get custom length shafts for it?? what did you do about the brakes?? are they discs..

I've got a few parts. What do you need?

I still need to get some pics up. They are coming soon I promise. The front spindles took a little work. Apparently the spindles are cast with a degree or two of camber built in. When I chucked them up in the lathe true to the bearing surface, the flange was slightly out. I had to resurface the flange so that everything would line up true to the housing. I've got some Ford D44 parts too that I plan on trying to convert to work on stock D30s for YJs, TJs, etc. (After my Jeep is running;-))

I do have to get custom shafts made. My 3rd member is a Currie HP9 with 4.56s, ARB and 31 spline.

For brakes I'm using GM 3/4 rotors and calipers. I still need to cut the caliper bracket and weld it to the housing. I will need to swap the master cylinder (to an F350) to be able to stop at all using all these large parts. No way the stock YJ cylinder will be able to move enough fluid.

Next

Return to Tech Info