YJ Project Marathon 9-19 thru 26th

Discuss Upgrades and Fixes

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:21 pm

broncomarc wrote:What's with the receiver above the rear axle? You would need one funky shaped hitch to hook in there to pull a trailer.

:biggrin:

I knew someone would see that.

I get creative using whatever I have laying around. In this case a Jeep TJ genuine MOPAR receiver hitch. I originally installed it as the crossmember for the bambar. Now, it is attached to my rear upper shock mounts.

The next challenge is coming up with a use for the receiver. Maybe a small winch to pull the rear suspension down, or a parts box for spares I never hope to use.

Might also be a good place for one of those receiver mounted boat propellers. 8)

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:34 pm

Got the rear tire carrier built.

Jeep runs great but the AOD is still giving me fits. Had a professional set the TV pressure but it upshifts too quickly (early) and will not downshift until I come to a complete stop.
Attachments
SideTireCarrier.jpg
SideTireCarrier.jpg (181.84 KiB) Viewed 11853 times

Extreme Wheeler

Postby jeepchick » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:52 pm

good lord this is taking forever, did you see how many people have viewed this? over 8000
-Rachel
'92 big XJ- lifted and locked
looking

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Wed May 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Drove the Jeep to Indianapolis yesterday. Handled 65-70 on the highway just fine. The combination of a ford racing B303 cam, 4.56 gears, AOD and 37 tires is not quite right. It would probably be happier at 65 with stock mustang cam, 5.13s or 35s.

All in all I was very happy with the first road trip. I had put about 600 miles on it over the last year and a half driving around town tracking down little bugs here and there. I put about 400 miles on it total yesterday. I averaged 14.6 mpg on the first tank going to Indy. I kept it about 65 and followed a big rig for about 60 miles. On the way home I drove about 70mph and got 12.8 mpg. Not too bad for a heavy, big tired honkin brick.

I've tried 87, 89 and 93 octane gas. It pings a little under load but runs fine on 89. Paid $4.05 per gallon yesterday for 89.

Stock Wheeler

Postby jeepthing77 » Tue May 20, 2008 3:01 pm

Jerry,
You wanna make another set of those spindles?

Matt
'98 TJ: lift, Atlas, Currie 9", stuff
'05 F150 KR

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Tue May 20, 2008 9:47 pm

Do you have spindles for me to turn down?

I could probably get it done.

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:38 pm

Decided to get 35s. Got these on yesterday:
Attachments
3qtr35sJan09street.jpg
3qtr35sJan09street.jpg (181.51 KiB) Viewed 11016 times
rear35sJan09street.jpg
rear35sJan09street.jpg (241.96 KiB) Viewed 11014 times

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:46 pm

need to lower the rear a little.
Attachments
rightsidejan09.jpg
rightsidejan09.jpg (137.47 KiB) Viewed 10969 times
frtjan09.jpg
frtjan09.jpg (117.44 KiB) Viewed 10969 times

Flexy Wheeler

Postby MY87redYJ » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:33 pm

YOU JUST NEED TO WHEEL IT. come on I have had mine out 6 times since I bought your motor.
its on the road finally only 2 1/2 years later. (note to self before doing work make sure you have the time to do it.)

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:05 pm

I'm with you on that!

Feb. Trailkeepers Ride, here I come!

Extreme Wheeler

Trail Report:

Postby Jerry Blair » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:50 am

OK, out on the trail for the first time since the build. (not counting the woods at the family farm)

Power, torque and throttle response were Awesome! It is exactly what I was hoping for. The auto made the Snot Rock trail in Jellico pretty easy. I'll admit I got lazy a few times and got stopped by icy rocks. If I had been paying attention better I would have bumped it a little earlier to avoid stopping. I ran 15 pounds of air in the MT Baja Claw Bias tires and got very little flex from the tires. I plan to experiment to lower pressures to find out how low I can go before I lose a bead. Eventually I'll install internal bead locks.

The suspension worked PERFECTLY. Plenty of up travel (4 inches front and rear) for a comfortable ride yet drooped out nicely. Very nice ride should get even better at lower tire pressures. The anti-wrap bar did it's job perfectly. I had no fear to hammer the throttle.

I had a couple of problems. The flex-a-lite fan I installed is a low profile unit. I used it because I have a very tight fit between the water pump and radiator. The major disadvantage here is that the cage that holds the fan motor is not rigid enough and when I hit a ledge or bump too hard it allowed the fan blades to hit the radiator. (thankfully breaking fan blades instead of cutting the radiator) When the fans were working I had zero cooling problems. I'll probably go back to a mechanical fan and use the electric fan on the front as an auxillary unit.

I also had an issue where I lugged the motor down on the brakes while descending a steep ledge and then shut off the engine to wait for others to complete the ledge. When I restarted it the EFI flooded the engine and wouldn't restart. After waiting for about 20 minutes and running the battery down trying to restart it I finally got it refired. (Thank you Brian S for the jump) I've done some research online and it appears there might be a simple fix. IAC adjustment, TPS adjustment, or replace the ECT sensor. All have apparently caused this problem in the past. All are also new on my engine so I'll need to run the diagnostics. An alternative is to also wire a toggle on my fuel pump so that I can manually shut it off in these situations to more easily clear the engine of the flooded condition.

My tires stick out a little too far. They really throw the mud. Just ask Eddie :biggrin: . I have wheel spacer on it and can narrow the track a little.

Overall I'm VERY happy. Some minor bugs to work out. I hated being "that guy" holding up the group a couple of times. I want to thank everyone for their help. Especially Gary D, for sacrificing about an hour of trail riding to help me down the mountain after my second fan blade bit the big one.

Previous

Return to Tech Info