Broke front axle

Discuss Upgrades and Fixes

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Flexy Wheeler

Broke front axle

Postby MY87redYJ » Sat May 21, 2011 9:38 pm

ok so the ride was great in my eyes since I havnt been wheeling since nov. but I was on an trying to go up this hill and heard a loud bang in the front. both front tires stoped pulling. the drive shaft was turning but not the tires. drove it back in 2 wheel drive (with robs help (thanks)). got it back home took the 4x4 posi cover off thinking that it was maybe that or the short shaft. neather from what I could tell. took the diff cover off and no metal shavings. turned the drive shaft and the short shaft turned with the shaft and so did the outer, turned the driver side shaft and nothing. dont know if I broke the spiders or the limited slip. going to try and take the axle shafts out tomorrow before I head home.
its on the road finally only 2 1/2 years later. (note to self before doing work make sure you have the time to do it.)

Flexy Wheeler

Postby MY87redYJ » Sat May 21, 2011 10:55 pm

forgot to say when I took the cover off, I could see the driverside shaft turn inside the limited slip when I turned the wheel.

so if it is the LS then what to do what to do. put in another LS, ARB, or Detroit, oooooooooooo start the install of the 44 and 60? since the last one will take a lot more time and money (both need gears and locker and then need to stretch the wheel base) dont think it will happen.
its on the road finally only 2 1/2 years later. (note to self before doing work make sure you have the time to do it.)

Forum Moderator

Postby ANDY » Sun May 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Alloy shafts, ARB (eliminates the shock load of ratcheting lockers and you can still steer the Jeep) and good U joints is the only really strong option for a Dana 30. The best option is a built 44, nine inch or 60 (if you have the tire size) but that takes a boat load of more money. The least expensive and most forgiving option for your stock shafts is another LS carrier. It's got you through this far.
________
/| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Flexy Wheeler

Postby MY87redYJ » Sun May 22, 2011 9:01 pm

well I tore into it a little farther, and found out that the cable lock has been pushed over to far, so I was riding on a 1/4" of the outside shaft. I had bought tj shafts off jay. so pulled the old ones out and put the new one in. while on jack stands started it up put it in 4 low and the long side spun. put my foot on the uni-baring and slowed it down, and the driver side started spining. but thanks for the info I will keep that in mind and look into it.

Forum Moderator

Postby broncomarc » Tue May 24, 2011 7:03 pm

I've got the D44 out of the Haneymobile for sale. Not sure what kind of diff it has or what kind of shafts. I would guess it's either a LS or a lunchbox locker. Shafts are probably stock. I think it just needs a spindle.
- Marc Reiter
1973 Bronco - http://www.broncomarc.com/bronco/

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Flexy Wheeler

Postby MY87redYJ » Thu May 26, 2011 8:24 pm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Return to Tech Info