Jerry's TJ Mid-Arm Build

Discuss Upgrades and Fixes

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Extreme Wheeler

Jerry's TJ Mid-Arm Build

Postby Jerry Blair » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:21 pm

My current set up for the rear is a RE Super-flex 5-link. IT BEATS ME TO DEATH!

I don't blame the current lift as much as I do my set up. The rear nine inch axle originally had a low pinion 3rd member and the brackets were all welded on for that application. I switched over to my Currie HP 3rd about a year or so ago and I couldn't adjust the uppers short enough for proper pinion angle. As a temporary fix I cut the uppers to make it work. I think the uppers are only like 11 or 12 inches. This also puts my rear trackbar in a bind.

Other problems with my current set up are diff contact with the Kilby Gas Tank Skid and rear shocks that are too long. I have only about 2" of up travel all around as the PO installed OME shocks for a 5.5" lift on a Jeep with only 3.5" lift. Needless to say the rear shocks are busted, leaking and useless.

My solution will use Poly Performance's TJ/LJ 4-link kit, Ford shock towers outboarded and frenched into the frame, Poly Performance BBCS 12" shocks and Fox Air Bumps in the original shock location. I'll also make sure the Kilby tank skid is pushed as far rearward as possible and will clearance the skid if necessary and modify the stock gas tank to fit.

Jeep goes in the garage tomorrow afternoon and should be running by Monday morning. (It is my DD after all!)

Pics to follow! :biggrin:

Master Wheeler

Postby eddie platt » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:51 am

let me know how those bbc's look and work for you. i have been thinking about a pair of those up front when my current ones wear out

Flexy Wheeler

Postby MY87redYJ » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:44 pm

the last time you said how long will this take it was 5 years later! have you finished it yet?
its on the road finally only 2 1/2 years later. (note to self before doing work make sure you have the time to do it.)

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 am

Well, I swapped out the engine in 3 days! :)

Plus I don't have a move, job change or new baby planned for this one.

I ran out of gas for my torch on Saturday. Picked up a new bottle yesterday.

Pics soon!

Extreme Wheeler

Postby garyjeep » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:38 pm

Jerry I have some Ford shock towers I took off the cj 14 in. over all length.
Gary
Retired - everyday is Saturday to me! (But I miss payday!)

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks, Gary.

I already have a set of towers.

With Dad getting sicker and sicker through February, I didn't get to work on the TJ until yesterday. So far I've got the control arms cut and welded. 26" for the lowers and 28.5" for the uppers.

I've got the stock axle mounts removed from the frame and the new frame mounts tacked on. Poly sent me the universal frame mounts instead of the TJ mounts I ordered. Not a huge deal but I had to do some trimming and extra welding to make them work.

I also removed the upper control arm mounts from the axle as well as the stock shock mounts. I've had a set of RE coil spring mounts in the garage since we closed the shop. I decided to remove the coil mounts from the nine inch and use the RE mounts. This will insure the bump stops line up correctly at full bump. As I saild, I'm trying to get this to ride as nice as possible. The rear will be double-bumped. LOL. I'll use the stock TJ bump and the BBCS shocks also have a really nice bumper built in. I'll use my air-bumps in the front where it should be easier to fab up the bump brackets.

I've taken a few pics along the way. I'm heading back out to the garage in a few minutes to get a little more work done. I hope to have all the axle brackets and frame mounts fully welded tonight and tomorrow I can tackle the outboarded shocks.

Extreme Wheeler

Re: Jerry's TJ Mid-Arm Build

Postby Jerry Blair » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:39 pm

Jerry Blair wrote:My solution will use Poly Performance's TJ/LJ 4-link kit, Ford shock towers outboarded and frenched into the frame, Poly Performance BBCS 12" shocks and Fox Air Bumps in the original shock location.

During measuring I found that I have 10.5" travel shocks (I had forgotten what I bought. I'm setting up the bump stops and shocks to have 5.5" of uptravel.

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:14 pm

Nearly there. Rain & snow kept me from doing anything yesterday.

I have everything back together. Jeep is sitting on its wheels. I still need to tighten everything up, bleed the brakes and take a test ride!

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:38 am

It's up and running. The bolts included with the poly kit for the front upper control arms were too long and couldn't be tightened all the way so I had a clunk. An extra washer solved the issue.

PICS:
Attachments
060.JPG
New lower control arm vs. stock RE lower.
060.JPG (152.85 KiB) Viewed 8233 times
067.JPG
Tacked together
067.JPG (149.54 KiB) Viewed 8233 times
075.JPG
Outboarded shocks
075.JPG (144.71 KiB) Viewed 8233 times
077.JPG
Full drop-out.
077.JPG (157.28 KiB) Viewed 8233 times

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:41 am

Before the changes I sat a little low in the back. After changing the axle-spring buckets and lining up the bumpstops everything now sits level.

The ride is much better. Really looking forward to getting it on the trail! I still need to add a rear sway-bar. (Anyone have one?)

Return to Tech Info