death wobble

Discuss Upgrades and Fixes

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Flexy Wheeler

death wobble

Postby dbach » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:08 pm

i got some bead locks (conversion type) put some silicone sand type used in farm equit for balancing tires. now i have a terrible wobble at 30-40 mph,must come to complete stop for it to stop shaking.my mech who has experience with this says i probaly need an alinement,but cant do it with bead locks .i need to borrow a couple of reg wheels and tires to aline .any boby have any i could borrow for a coulpe of days and or any advice?

Extreme Wheeler

Postby garyjeep » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:44 pm

I have some 5 on 5 1/2
Gary
Retired - everyday is Saturday to me! (But I miss payday!)

Flexy Wheeler

Postby dbach » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:09 am

no i need 5x4.5 late model

Master Wheeler

Postby eddie platt » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:51 am

why would a set of new wheels cause your alignment to be off? could it be something else?

were the new wheels hard to balance? with the sand stuff in them, they are supposed to balance automatically right? have you tested it on a balancer machine?

Flexy Wheeler

Postby dbach » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:25 pm

my rig has never had an alinement ,with all the wheeling it has had ,changes to suspensionand heavy duty tie rods , it might be time .bead lock wheels are built diff from reg wheels with such a heavy lock ring on the outside maybe it throws every thing off?maybe i need more sand.no i didnt use a bal mach yet.

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:42 pm

When I bought my current Jeep the previous owner had "equal" put into the wheels for balancing. It never worked for me. It was smooth at 70+ miles per hour but anything below that it sucked.

My TJ was in pretty bad shape, suspension wise. Everything was worn out. DW finally stopped for me when I replaced several seized bushings and seized rubicon express Superflex joints.

I would swap tires front to back to see if that helps. Are your beadlocks a brand name or home built?

Flexy Wheeler

Postby dbach » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:38 pm

bead locks are home built , did a alinement { toe out } helped alot .havent tried driving on exway yet but around town is fine. we'll see

Return to Tech Info