BRAKES!? i need help

Discuss Upgrades and Fixes

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Master Wheeler

BRAKES!? i need help

Postby eddie platt » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:54 am

ok, i decided to start another thread for this because i cant figure out what my problem is.

so heres the dilema.

after the axles were in i bled the jeep with all the stock abs, distribution block, master cyl. and booster. it didnt work, i got no pedal, it goes straight to the floor. barely any pressure.

so after some reading online i discovered that i might have to buy a scanner to electronically get the abs pump to bleed right. well i didnt really need the abs pump, so i decided to bypass it. which proved to be alot harder than i thought. but anyway.

so now here i am - i have the brake lines running directly off the master cylinder, into the distribution block, then to the wheels.

we bled the brakes pass rear, driver rear, pass front, driver front, about 5 times, each time twice in a row before moving to the next one.
i still have a very soft pedal. even pumping doesnt build up enough pressure to have a good pedal feel.

im determined to get it working without having to swap masters because i know of guys on pirate running one tons and 40's and using all stock zj brakes. so i just think im doing something wrong.

any suggestions?

fyi, im running stock ford 44 calipers in front, and chevy 1/2 ton calipers in rear

Master Wheeler

Postby spaulman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:12 pm

Any chance you got the calipers swapped and they are upside down? The bleeder should be on the top. I knew somebody that made this mistake once...
Scott Paulman
Lebanon, OH

46 CJ2A #18172
96 XJ Sport
13 JK Unlimited Rubi

Master Wheeler

Postby kesterkamp » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:40 am

yeah i made that mistake too on my last swap i barely had any rear brakes during harlan
15 Buggy
88 Jeep Wrangler DAD'S
95 Jeep Cherokee DEAD
00 Ford F-250
03 Honda Accord

Master Wheeler

Postby eddie platt » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:40 am

im sure the bleeders are at the top in the rear. and the fronts are in the stock location obviously. so im pretty sure that cant be it. i wish it was that easy.
Attachments
102_3273rev.JPG
102_3273rev.JPG (154.1 KiB) Viewed 5977 times

Forum Moderator

Postby broncomarc » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:31 pm

The bleeders are in the right position. Better than mine.

I would let it gravity bleed for a while. Just open up all 4 bleeders and let it go for 10 minutes while you keep topping off the master cylinder.

If it's still not getting pressure, it could be a bad master cylinder. Maybe not getting a good seal to create pressure.
- Marc Reiter
1973 Bronco - http://www.broncomarc.com/bronco/

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Master Wheeler

Postby eddie platt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:24 pm

i tried bleeding it at a friends shop today. no luck. the pedal still goes all the way to the floor.

so i suspect the mc is bad. you can hear a small hissing sound coming from the mc/booster area while some one is pumping the brakes. so i think thats the problem. its just weird i didnt have the problem before hand.

so im off to get a mc and try it.

Return to Tech Info