Jeep Studs

Discuss Upgrades and Fixes

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Forum Moderator

Jeep Studs

Postby broncomarc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:48 pm

Does a 77-86 CJ use 1/2 wheel studs? (what kind of studs did you think I meant?) I bought a set of rotors for my new front axle and found that the holes are 5/8". I'm guessing that the studs just seriously neck down from 5/8 to 1/2. Are the wheel hub holes also 5/8?
- Marc Reiter
1973 Bronco - http://www.broncomarc.com/bronco/

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Forum Moderator

Postby ANDY » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:17 pm

CJ's use 1/2" studs. It is stud #98147 at Auto Zone. This gets you the correct splines that drive into the wheel hub. The rotors go behind the hub and have oversize holes to allow it to just slide over the shoulder that is before the splines on the studs. My rear discs are set up the same way, the rotors are behind the axle flange and the studs drive into the flange. I have some parts lying around if you want to see how they are set up.
________
/| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Forum Moderator

Postby broncomarc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:33 pm

Sounds good. I just wanted to make sure I had a rotor I could use. I didn't want to use a different sized lug from what I use now. So, the part that goes thru the rotor is not splined, but the part that goes thru the wheel hub is? Are the holes in the wheel hub smaller than the holes in the rotor?

The wheel hub is the other thing I'm working on now. I need to get it redrilled to 5 on 5.5. I split a rotor from the hub yesterday and found what's in the pic below. I'm guessing I'm going to have to get the raised parts turned down till the surface is flat to get it redrilled.

- Marc Reiter
1973 Bronco - http://www.broncomarc.com/bronco/

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Return to Tech Info