high center gravity

Discuss Upgrades and Fixes

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Lifted Wheeler

high center gravity

Postby SHOF73 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:01 pm

A Narrow track Cj-5 with SOA......Is this safe enough for the trail or is the center of gravity to high for the narrow track to safely operate? I'm not looking for a SOA vs. SUA debate.

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:06 pm

Stock springs or lift springs? Tire size? Rim width?

"Safely operate?" is entirely subjective and can only be answered by you. There is no universal COG number to say yes or no. If you lift your Jeep you are raising COG and some vehicles will be more stable than others. Has nothing to do with SUA vs SOA....simply the amount of lift.

Can you adjust your driving style to compensate or do you need to have the security of being able to sue the manufacturer due to poor design instead of taking responsibility for your own actions? :biggrin:

Can it turn over? Yep....but it can turn over stock too.

Lifted Wheeler

Postby SHOF73 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:39 am

33" tires 12.5 wide and stock springs. I'm not sure if my skills or lack there of could handle lift springs added on without constantly worrying of a roll over. As for suing a manufacturer....thats crazy! They aren't the ones driving my JEEP, I am. Very true on the fact that even a stock rig can roll. I think I'll hold off on the SOA and get some more trail under my tires.

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:29 am

LOL...

If you are running 33s on your CJ5 with stock springs you will be able to go a lot of places.

If you haven't driven much offroad, it is no big deal. Riding with the group will help a lot. You'll pick it up fast.

After you decide what type of wheeling you like best, then decide how you want to lift it.

I have done an SOA on two of my personal vehicles. A 1995 YJ that I still own and a 1988 Suzuki Samurai that my Dad now owns. I like SOA. The Samurai is very narrow, riding on 31" tires with open axles front and rear. I never felt unstable compared to stock. I'd do it again.

Return to Tech Info