Cummins oil leak fix / cam install

Discuss Upgrades and Fixes

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Extreme Wheeler

Postby jeepchick » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:18 pm

dude the amount of time you spent typing all that you could of been done with the truck. looks good, really organized i'm impressed with that. I hope you get it done this weekend.
-Rachel
'92 big XJ- lifted and locked
looking

Master Wheeler

Postby Watson » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:20 am

Well, after my writeup from yesterday and finally leaving work, going home and grabbing a bite to eat while watching the Saints kick a fieldgoal with 3 seconds left for the win (so many years of wearing a bag over my head as a Saints fan, now I can finally rejoice) - I thought I would be able to finish this project up. Wishful thinking...

I probably had time to just bolt everything back up as is but to play it safe, I decided to back my timing off before putting everything back together. It was set at 17 degrees which is perfect for the amount of power I'm making and yet not blow a head-gasket. Since I'm planning on throwing drugs into the motor (in the form of water/meth injection) very soon, I thought it would be best to back the timing off to save the head-gasket. At least until I get a marine gasket and o-ring and stud the head - then I'll be cranking it up to 20-24 degrees. So I backed it off to 14.5 degrees. By the time I finished that, bolted all the fuel lines back on, the case-cover and harmonic balancer, I was going to try to get the fan on and then call it a night since it was pushing 10:00 and I needed to get up at 4:00 to be at work early. Well - the last bolt on the fan pulley bracket decided to yield prior to the 18 ft-lbs of required torque. Snapped it right in half - luckily with enough sticking out of the block to get pliers on it and back it out. So - tonight I'll try to find another bolt and then hopefully get the new 24v intercooler and 150# boots on, get the radiator and AC condensor back in and try to wrestle the bumper around by myself. Look for more pics and an update tomorrow.

By the way - CONGRATS to Andy on his first bow-kill yesterday morning. Let's see some pics of that big doe! :shoot:
(RIP): Beat up 93 XJ on 38.5 SXs and coils at all corners
New Driver: 01 XJ (2" lift - Rubi wheels/tires)
My Baby: Black 98 2500 Dodge Ram 12v Cummins Diesel on 33s (now with 6 speeds and a new head)
Parted out: 96 Black XJ on 31s
My Toy: Bright yellow 85 CJ-7 on 31s (officially sold to Ben now but I'm still building it)
Sold: Maroon 92 XJ - 5" lift, locked, and 32s

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Forum Moderator

Postby ANDY » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:51 pm

Watson wrote:
By the way - CONGRATS to Andy on his first bow-kill yesterday morning. Let's see some pics of that big doe! :shoot:

Thanks! I'm in Orlando Florida today, but return tonight. I will send you a picture when I get back. Shoot me an email I can't seem to find your address. We will cook some up for the the pheasant hunt. :jammin:
________
/| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Forum Moderator

Postby broncomarc » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:46 pm

I realized today that my engine number is on the gear case. Are you losing your engine number?
- Marc Reiter
1973 Bronco - http://www.broncomarc.com/bronco/

|_________
| /| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L O-====-O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Master Wheeler

Postby Watson » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:41 am

We will cook some up for the the pheasant hunt.

Save a bit of extra venison for Holly. I'm thinking she'll be ready for the hunt. There was a dove below the birdfeeder the other day and she snuck up to about 20 feet from it and went on a beautiful point. I was able to walk up right beside her and just a couple times did she flitch and want to lunge at the bird but I'd say "hold" and she'd go right back on point. At only 6 months old - I was so proud of her!!! I'll probably let you do most of the shotgun shooting while I shoot with the camera.

I know - thread highjack - but it's my own thread...

Truck update - motor is completely back together, I started to put the new high-pressure intercooler boots on last night and ran out of brake cleaner. I wanted to get the intercooler tubes good and clean before putting the new boots on. Plus I want to spray a little hair-spray on the inside of the boots before putting them (sweet little trick to hold the boots on better) and I was out of that. So, I'll get that tonight and really really hope to be done. I got the new axle-shaft and hub-bearing in last night. Pressing those wheelstuds through the rotor and hub is such a pain but I got it - I'm getting pretty good at this procedure and doing it in the garage sure beat an empty parking lot in the middle of Celina, Kansas with the whole town looking on. :biggrin: Those were the coolest cops I've ever met.

Marc - yeah, the engine tag is riveted onto the gearcase. I'll probably pull the tag off the old case and just keep that in the glovebox or something. There are predrilled holes in the new case for the tag but I'd hate to crack the new case while trying to put the tag on so I'm leaving it off.
My Baby: Black 98 2500 Dodge Ram 12v Cummins Diesel on 33s (now with 6 speeds and a new head)
My Toy: Bright yellow 85 CJ-7 on 31s (officially sold to Ben now but I'm still building it)

Extreme Wheeler

Postby jeepchick » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:11 pm

you aren't driving your jeep during all of this are you?
-Rachel
looking

Master Wheeler

Postby Watson » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:53 am

Nope, not driving the Jeep - have almost $400 into rental cars over the course of this project and it'll only get worse from here. Somebody just shoot me now. Playing it safe is for suckers! So much for backing my timing off so I don't blow a headgasket. I got the truck back to the point of being able to fire it up two nights ago. I let it idle for about 10 minutes and run it through the rpm range a couple times and everything ran so smooth. Last night I finished bolting up the bumper and misc things to actually take it out for a spin. Went up and down the street a few times and it was running great, took it out onto the main street to get her up to 55mph and went about a 1/2 mile and it ran great, turned around in a parking lot to head back. Took off in third, shifted to fifth, hit 6th and started smelling antifreeze. I pulled her into the garage and within 30 seconds had a pool of oil about 9" in diameter dripping from the back of the motor. I noticed there was some neon green mixed in with that and felt my heart sink. I checked the dipstick and the oil looked fine, nice and golden but then I pulled the radiator cap... the level was low so I started to pour some water in and sure enough, a milky grey sludge came up that had a wonderful mixed smell of Prestone and Rotella. By by head gasket. :cry:

Now would be a great time to do my dream ported and o-ringed head but due to financial issues (not having $3K+ to throw down on a head like that) I think I am going to stick with getting a marine gasket, ARP head studs, and dump the non-wasted turbine housing for a wg housing to control boost levels. With the non-wg housing, I've seen 50# on the gauge and with the stock turbo, that's not good for anything. Boost way too high for stock gasket and head bolts and way off the map for the turbo so I'm just superheating the air and actually losing power. If I keep the turbo around 35-36, the truck should run stronger and hold together much better. We'll see... Hopefully I can keep the new parts under $1000 and have my truck back running again soon. I think it would be in my best interest to hold off on the addition of wather/meth injection for awhile. Hey - that Stage II Snow Performance kit has only been sitting in the box for a year and a half, what's another year?

I'm going to spend this weekend working on making the XJ more street (and cop) friendly so that I can drive it while I tear the head of the Cummins.

Good times :rolleyes2:

Extreme Wheeler

Postby Jerry Blair » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:53 am

I feel for you Brian.

Still working out the bugs in the YJ. I haven't been motivated lately. Probably need a weekend or two, but after 3 months of working on it every free moment, I'm a little tired right now.

Good luck.

Extreme Wheeler

Postby jeepchick » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:57 am

Watson wrote: Took off in third, shifted to fifth, hit 6th and started smelling antifreeze. I pulled her into the garage and within 30 seconds had a pool of oil about 9" in diameter dripping from the back of the motor. I noticed there was some neon green mixed in with that and felt my heart sink. I checked the dipstick and the oil looked fine, nice and golden but then I pulled the radiator cap... the level was low so I started to pour some water in and sure enough, a milky grey sludge came up that had a wonderful mixed smell of Prestone and Rotella. By by head gasket. :cry:

dude that sucks so bad. dang. good luck hun
-Rachel
looking

Extreme Wheeler

Postby bmerlin347 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:09 pm

:o :o :o :o :o Holy chromoly shafts dude!!! :/ :/ :/ :/ :/
Sweet Little White Caddie - 95 YJ "No Lockers, No Problem"
04 Silver Rubicon
http://gallery.jeepdedication.com
http://www.jeepdedication.com

Master Wheeler

Postby Watson » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:27 pm

Well, after a couple weeks of waiting on parts, my ported, o-ringed, hd-valve spring head from PDR supposedly shipped this morning. I was lucky enough that a friend of mine up here was selling a Ranger so to help advertise it, he let me drive it last week to save on rental cost. Unfortunately, it sold yesterday morning. So guess what - my XJ is my new daily driver! It's not so bad though - keeping my fingers crossed that nothing happens to it.

I hope to have all my head parts in before for I leave for TN in a week. I certainly won't have the work done for that trip and will have to get a rental for that but I'd like to at least have everything in the garage for when I get back from Thanksgiving, I can jump right into it. Alan is going to try to come up the first weekend in Dec to give me a hand with the install. That new head weighs 175 pounds! Guess I'll be buying steaks and beer that weekend.

I'll let you know how that all goes.

Flexy Wheeler

Postby f3maf » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:20 pm

hey my brother, anytime you need help let let me know, I have been busy so you have to give me a notice or I cannot promise anything, but I will.
M.
currently corrola'd

Master Wheeler

Postby Watson » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:43 pm

Thanks to Alan - the new ported, o-ringed, hd valve-spring head is now resting on top of the block with a marine-grade head-gasket inbetween. The head studs will be going in soon and I'll start bolting everything back together. Pictures to come...

Master Wheeler

Postby Watson » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:15 am

Here are some pics from the work over the weekend...
Attachments
tear down again.JPG
tear down again.JPG (236.38 KiB) Viewed 9705 times
head coming off.JPG
head coming off.JPG (195.37 KiB) Viewed 9705 times
headless.JPG
headless.JPG (247.46 KiB) Viewed 9705 times
new gasket.JPG
new gasket.JPG (248.61 KiB) Viewed 9705 times
new head.JPG
new head.JPG (204.88 KiB) Viewed 9705 times
o-ringed.JPG
o-ringed.JPG (166.62 KiB) Viewed 9705 times
pistons.JPG
pistons.JPG (202.29 KiB) Viewed 9705 times
new head on.JPG
new head on.JPG (226.29 KiB) Viewed 9705 times
shop dog.JPG
shop dog.JPG (138.12 KiB) Viewed 9705 times

Master Wheeler

Postby Watson » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:20 am

So now I just have to put the head studs in, put the rockers back on, adjust the valves, put the intake and exhaust manifolds back on, hook teh turbo and exhaust back up, put the intercooler and radiator back on, hook up all the hoses and wires, fill it back up with fluids, run it through a couple heat cycles, retorque the head studs, drive it a little, retorque the head studs again, drive it more, retorque more, etc. In about 3 months I should be able to jump on it hard again. I'll let y'all know what goes wrong then.

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Info