Black Bear Pass

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Master Wheeler

Black Bear Pass

Postby spaulman » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:14 pm

Hey guys,

It has been a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. We are headed to Colorado again next month. Gonna spend a couple of days around Ouray and Telluride. The last time that we were in that area, we did Engineer and Imogene Pass. I'm considering Black Bear Pass this year. I have literally watched a couple of hours worth of YouTube videos of the trail. I'm sure it is worse in person than it looks on the screen but it seems like the trail is more mental than difficult. The switchbacks don't look any worse than the trail from Middle Fork to the Putney TH down at Harlan. Any opinions on running it in a stock JK Rubicon, assuming the weather is decent?
Scott Paulman
Lebanon, OH

46 CJ2A #18172
96 XJ Sport
13 JK Unlimited Rubi

Forum Moderator

Re: Black Bear Pass

Postby ANDY » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:27 pm

Just do it! :jammin:

Gary and Sandy in their TJ and Liz and I in her JK did it a few years ago along with most of the trails there.

It is definitely more mental than anything. Liz got pretty nervous and walked down a good portion of the trail. The first turn will make you clinch the seat cushion harder than you ever have when you see it, but then you realize it looks tighter than it actually is. The first or second switch back requires you to back up the mountain in a LWB Jeep. That's a pretty hairy feeling. The view at the top is incredible and Bridal Veil falls along the way are very impressive. It is well worth driving and barring a complete mechanical failure of your JK, you should have no problem running it. The part that makes it scary is the fact that the trail is a sheer drop off one side and pretty much straight up on the other. The trail is wide but the drop off makes it feel pretty narrow. There are much more difficult and narrower trails in Colorado.

I have a couple books on the trails there that are really good and easy to follow. You are welcome to borrow them if you want. We have ran a very large number of the trails in Colorado over multiple trips and can't wait to get back.

Grab a beverage at the Ouray Brewing Company. The seating on the rooftop gives a nice view of downtown.
________
/| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)

Return to General Chat